Ian and Marie Auerbach established Benton's Family Assistance Fund within NTSAD to honor their son, Benton, who passed away from Tay-Sachs in January, 2012, at the age of 3. They started this fund to provide financial assistance to families and affected individuals to purchase items and services that promote comfort, ease, and quality of life for their loved ones. Similar to Helping Hand Grants, grants from Benton's Family Assistance Fund will aid families and individuals that are otherwise unable to afford these very helpful services.
- NTSAD Peer Support Group members
- Family member taking care of a child
- Affected adults & their caregivers
Examples of what's covered in the Fund:
- equipment that helps increase comfort (e.g,. positioning equipment for children) but isn't covered by medical insurance
- durable medical equipment co-pay
- short-term respite or nursing care
- complimentary medicine, e.g., occupational therapy, Eastern medicine approaches
Guideline for amount requested: The maximum request should be $500 per year for each family. However, the amount ultimately granted and the item approved will be at the discretion of the grant review committee.
How to apply
To apply for a grant, please submit your request and include the description, dollar amount, and the reason for your request. Once you are awarded the grant, you will be asked to submit documentation for the item/service per NTSAD's audit requirements.
Please send your request to:
NTSAD - Benton's Family Assistance Fund
2001 Beacon Street, Suite 204
Boston, MA 02135
f. (617) 277-0134